You can create playoff brackets using either the PRO or Tournament Scheduler.
- If you are currently using LITE, click the green PRO Features button on the Schedule Maker page, and then Upgrade Now to add Playoffs to your existing schedule.
Define your Brackets:
1. Expand the Divisions section:
2. Click on Add a Bracket:
3. Enter the parameters for your bracket:
Bracket Options / Playoff Modes
For most standard brackets, you will only need to put the number of teams and click Save Bracket.
Gives all teams in the bracket the same number of games. Losers are not eliminated, they simply drop to a lower bracket and keep playing until each rank is determined.
Adds a third place playoff match for the losers of the semi-finals (like FIFA World Cup, for instance) – nothing else.
It takes 2 losses to be eliminated from the tournament. The winner of the Losers' Bracket meets the winner of the Winners' Bracket in the Final (where the LB winner has to beat the WB winner twice in order to be crowned champion; WB winner only has to beat LB winner once).
Teams face each other twice; the better team after both games advances. If you do not check two-legged final then the final will be just one game (e.g. UEFA Champions League).
Currently, there needs to be a definitive winner (one team needs to have scored higher on aggregate) in order to advance. If you have a tie, please increment the score of the team you want to advance by 1.
4. Define Your Seeding
If you have multiple pools, note that Seed 1 plays vs Seed 8, Seed 2 vs Seed 7, and so on. So you'll most likely want to do something like this:
If you want to just play one game against the same rank in the other pool ("cross-pool play") you'll want to add multiple brackets like so:
5. Generate Playoff Schedule
- Note: for tournaments, you need to define your brackets before you generate any games. If you've already generated a schedule, click erase games and regenerate the whole schedule in order to generate the brackets.
Updating Seeds with Actual Teams
See this article for how to update your brackets with teams from standings after your group/pool stage.